Speech Team Grade 9 Blog
Welcome, 9th Grade Speech Team!
9th Grade Speech Team Students & Parents –
WELCOME! You’ve made the decision to be part of an incredible community of people; we believe speech team is one of the best decisions you can make as a student!
Here we go! Your event assignments are included in this email. But first, this is chock-full of some important information you need to read through.
Q. Did I get the group I wanted to be in?
A. Maybe. But more importantly, you registered to be part of the TEAM; placement in a preferred event is not a guarantee. Please be gracious in your response to casting. Regardless of your personal feelings regarding the castings, a friend around you should be celebrated and congratulated! As a member of the speech team, you very publicly represent Waukee’s high standard of professionalism. That starts now.
Q. How did you decide which groups we were in?
A. First, after coordinating with our six coaches to determine a rehearsal schedule, we considered your availability. If you couldn’t attend practices for a particular event, you weren’t considered for that event – even if that was your number one preference. Second, we considered the skills you demonstrated at auditions for Mrs. Thompson. Third, we considered the number of people we needed to fill an event per state rules. Fourth – and last, we considered your preferences.
Q. My name is red on the cast list. Why?
A. I don’t have your contract; you cannot attend practice until I receive it.
Q. I don’t like my event assignments OR I’m only in one event and I wanted to be in two.
A. I’m very sorry – but do consider you may be in the event because of constraints on your schedule and/or because your audition showcased skills you might not know you had! Please don’t drop; your teammates are depending on you and dropping may impact a group’s ability to perform.
However, if you need to drop an event OR if you are only placed in one event and want to be on a wait list to join a second event because your availability or interests changed (we’d love to have more in Group Improv!), please fill out this form.
- Parents and students, sign up for the Speech/Theatre Department Newsletter at this link.
- Text @ihssalg9 (acronym for Iowa High School Speech Association Large Group 9) to 81010 to sign up for our text message reminders for immediate notices of canceled practices, weather delays, and/or other related announcements.
- You can also follow me on Twitter at @PVspeechdrama for announcements and reminders. We use the hashtag #waukeetheatrefam in our posts.
- Bookmark our website at http://www.
- Once rehearsals begin, please FIRST communicate questions and conflicts to your event coach and THEN contact me.
REHEARSAL SCHEDULES & MEETINGS:
You have a REQUIRED All-Team Meeting on Monday, November 13th from 3:15-4:20 in the PV Choir Room. This is the ONLY all-team meeting outside of our parent showcase. Please make arrangements with your other activity coaches to be at this MANDATORY meeting. Timberline students, there will be a shuttle to get you here. Rehearsals begin that day as well, so plan accordingly. A full schedule is included below.
DATES TO REMEMBER:
The following are MANDATORY dates for ALL speech team students; please clear your calendars accordingly:
- Monday, November 13, 3:15-4:20, PV Choir Room – All-Team Meeting
- Monday, January 15 – 9th Grade Speech Team Showcase & Parent Meeting (students, you are performing)
- Tuesday, January 16 – High School Speech Team Showcase & Parent Meeting (students, you are hosting)
- Saturday, January 20 – District Speech Contest @ Location TBA — generally a 6:00am-6:30pm commitment; students are NOT permitted to leave early unless it is for a school-sponsored activity
- Saturday, February 3 – State Speech Contest – Waukee is HOSTING, so anticipate a 6:00am-7:00pm commitment. You are NOT permitted to leave early unless it is for a school-sponsored activity
- Saturday, February 17 – All-State Speech Festival – Iowa State University; generally a 6:30am-6:00pm commitment
Remember, your signed contract was your promise to attend practices and contests, be prepared, and be a productive team member.
Without further ado, check out the full schedule, roster, and event assignments HERE – be sure to click on all the tabs at the bottom.
CONGRATULATIONS! This is going to be a GREAT speech season!
And, WELCOME to the FAMILY! #waukeetheatrefam